About David Barton
I have a complete understanding of the entire regulatory process knowing exactly how the SRA and SDT processes work. I make this expertise available to exclusively defend.
Over more than 20 years I have a reputation for sound judgment, sensitivity in difficult circumstances and robust written and oral advocacy.
I have been qualified over 30 years, and over the last 20 I have specialised as an advocate before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal. I have appeared hundreds of times both prosecuting and defending solicitors in regulatory difficulty. I have Higher Court Advocacy rights in both the civil and criminal courts and have a reputation for thoroughness and robustness.
As a former prosecutor for the Solicitors Regulation Authority for over 20 years I can bring insight and experience that few can rival. I have substantial experience and understanding of all stages of the investigative and prosecution process.
My experience covers the complete range of proceedings and in particular
- Helping you deal with SRA investigations and interviews
- Preparing written representations and explanations to the SRA
- Breaches of the SRA Accounts Rules
- Improper use of a solicitor’s client account
- Mortgage frauds, advance fee frauds and participation in dubious transactions
- Breaches of undertakings
- Proceedings involving dishonesty or lack of integrity
- Those alleging a compromising independence or failing to maintain public trust
- Failing to deal properly with the SRA or the Legal Ombudsman
- Failing to run the business effectively
- Failing to supervise adequately
- Misappropriation of client money
- Conflicts of interest
I have particular experience in drafting written representations to the Solicitors Regulation Authority and to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal. I have appeared as advocate before the Disciplinary Tribunal, the Master of the Rolls' Court and the High Court on hundreds of occasions offering experience, skill and insight into the disciplinary process.
As a former SRA prosecutor I can bring particular insight and knowledge when representing solicitors and firms being investigated or prosecuted by the SRA. I have significant experience of dealing with SRA investigation reports and all financial and accounting documents.
I have also advised and represented Accountants regulated by the ACCA and the ICAEW and appeared as advocate, as well as dealing with written representations and arguments representing clients within the UK and abroad.