I am David Barton, a Solicitor Advocate specialising in professional regulation for solicitors, legal executives and their firms.
If you face an investigation by the Solicitors Regulation Authority or proceedings before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal, I can help you.
If you face an SRA investigation call or text me on 07876 711708 or send me a message and I will be happy to speak with you informally and confidentially to see how I can help. You will find me knowledgeable and supportive. I can invariably see a way of dealing with a problem.
As a former senior SRA prosecutor, I understand how SRA investigations work and can offer exceptional experience and expertise in SRA cases.
I provide expert advice and robust, tenacious representation. I will deal with difficult issues with care and sensitivity.
I offer advice in connection with:
- Letters and other communications from the SRA;
- Complaints from the SRA, the Legal Ombudsman, clients and third parties;
- How to report misconduct to the SRA;
- How to deal with interviews and forensic investigations;
- How to deal with the SRA’s internal sanctions process;
- Proceedings before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal;
- Appeals to the High Court.
I am a member of the Solicitors Assistance Scheme, the Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers, and the Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates.
SRA investigation is a specialist area and few solicitors are qualified to offer help in the way I can.
- I offer straightforward, realistic and expert legal advice and representation.
- I will work with you and guide you through all stages of the regulatory process and can help you deal with letters from the SRA or formal recorded interviews.
- I will assess all options open to you and help you achieve the best possible result.
- My service is entirely bespoke. I can offer advice and support to those wishing to conduct their own advocacy or I can conduct it all for you.
- I can help at strategic stages by preparing important documents such as witness statements and written representations. Getting these right is critical.
- I will tell you the best options open to you and help you achieve the best result based on the realities of your position.
- The value in engaging expert support at a challenging time is frequently underestimated. I have been in private practice for over 30 years and understand its pressures. I can take on some of those pressures while you get on with your practice.
- I work throughout England and Wales.
A superb litigator with a detailed approach to any given task coupled with a friendly and persuasive personality.
David brings a wealth of knowledge and years of experience to the benefit of his clients who feel safe in his capable hands throughout.
David has succeeded for us in every case he has taken on and his easy manner make him a pleasure to deal with at a time when one may feel under stress and anxiety.
David has guided us through investigations instituted by both the SRA and the Legal Ombudsman. In all instances no action was taken, and quite properly so as all were completely misconceived.
David is responsive and knowledgeable in circumstances that were stressful and brought a calm and authoritative approach to his work. He was thorough and robust with the regulators. And his written work was timely and showed attention to detail.
Having someone outside the firm plainly on top of what he was doing was immensely helpful. It enables us to get on with other things whilst he deflected the pressure and ultimately brought things to an end.
Through no fault of mine I found myself the subject of an investigation by the SRA when it inspected accounting and transaction records at the firm which employed me. It was an enormously worrying time for me, and David knew exactly how to deal with the SRA Investigation Officer to ensure that my position was understood. David was extremely supportive, and knowledgeable, and his sense of humour made what was one of the most stressful times of my life almost bearable. I felt in very safe hands and he brought the whole saga to a conclusion with my reputation intact. David was very accessible and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. I could not have wished for a better advocate fighting my corner and have no hesitation in recommending the services of David to anyone finding themselves in a similar situation.
David worked tirelessly and constructively with the SRA and brought about a very satisfactory conclusion to issues for me. His professionalism and calm and caring manner made a very unpleasant experience much more bearable. I would recommend him to anyone who needs good advice and a clear head.
As you might imagine I am hugely relieved that the SRA has backed off and accepted your written representations.
I can’t thank you enough for your help and professionalism! I am just so pleased that I instructed you.
I would like to thank David Barton for all his help during the most stressful time of my life. If it was not for him I do not know how I would have got through it. He advised and guided me through an SRA investigation and prosecution, and appeared for me as my advocate before the SDT when virtually all the charges were dismissed.
I would without a doubt recommend David for dealing with any SRA investigation or prosecution.
We instructed David following the commencement of an SRA investigation into how the firm conducted a large quantity of a certain type of legal work. He dealt effectively with a series of detailed enquiries by carefully explaining how each one was conducted and why the SRA was wrong to regard them as improper. His written work was very detailed and ultimately very effective. He was supportive, attentive and knowledgeable and knew exactly how to deal with the investigation. His experience was invaluable when we were presented with a wide range of serious allegations that were all in fact misconceived. The investigation lasted over 2 years and eventually concluded with a complete withdrawal of allegations by the SRA. This was a massive result for the firm and we were enormously grateful for this. We would not have achieved this without David’s diligence and attention to detail and have no hesitation in commending his work to anyone.
I recently sought advice from Mr Barton regarding a regulatory issue and from the outset found him to be very professional, empathetic and knowledgeable. He immediately put me at ease and at such a stressful time I felt very supported and reassured. His actions on my behalf led to the matter being resolved quickly and efficiently. I could not thank him enough.